After the table of contents, the pages start over at
number 1 and the year of 1787. One indenture is dated 1772.
Page 1 Commonwealth of
Massachusetts: John Tracy, Esq., of Newbury Port, is appointed
Justice of the Peace for the county of Essex. 13 March 1787, in the 11th
year of the Independence of the United States. James Bowdoin, governor
of Mass.; granted by Comm. John Avery Joseph(?).
Page 2 to Page 9 South Carolina:
Indenture dated 9 March 1787 between Nathaniel Tracy of Newbury Port with
the County of Essex, Commonwealth of Mass.; and Mary, his wife, and
William Scarborough of Charleston, South Carolina. William was to pay
20 shillings to seal this record for purchasing a plantation that at the time of
the original grant was located in South Carolina, but is now in Georgia.
The tract of land contains 3,446 acres and originally granted to William
Harvey bearing the date 21 May 1763, situated southward of the Altamaha
River and bounded to the eastward by land surveys for Richard Stevens,
and westward by vacant land, and land possessed by William Kelsey, and to
the Northwards by the Altamaha River and southward by vacant lands. The
plantation was sold to James Hume, Esq., by William Harvey.
John Hume and Alexander Rose conveyed it to Nathaniel Tracy
and his wife Mary, to sell in whole the gardens, orchards, fences, ways,
wells, waters, water courses, easements, profits, commodities, advantages, etc.
Signed by Nathaniel & Mary Tracy, William Scarborough.
Witness to the Tracy’s signatures were Alexander Moore and John Lubb(?).
Witnesses to Wm. Scarborough’s signature were James Patterson and
Robert Garonere(? could be Garonne).
William Scarborough paid 12,000 pounds South Carolina money due by the
1st of March 1788. Brunswick, Glynn County, Georgia entered in Book
A, page 1 by John Goode of the clerks office.
South Carolina A note from Lewis
Bona of the parish of St. Hellena in South Carolina, appointing his friend,
John Palmer, to act as law on a certain tract of land containing 250
acres granted to him in the year 1774, also respecting certain Negroes, one a
tall yellow fellow named Jack, knock need about 20 years old, also one
small black fellow named Joe about 30 years old, a bricklayer by trade.
Dated 9 June 1787. Witnessed by John Whiting(?) and Jack Hawkins. Received by John Goode and recorded 5 July 1787,
Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
The mark of John Palmer, a smooth crop in the left ear and figure 7 in
the right ear. His brand thus an M and P joined together. The mark
of Martin Palmer, a crop with the left ear and a swallow fork with the
right, same brand as John Palmer. Received by John Goode, 5
July 1787, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 12 to 17 Georgia
Indenture made 28 April 1772, and in the twelfth year of the reign of His
Majesty King George the third, between James Spalding of the town of
Frederica and parish of St. James, merchant, and Margery his wife; and
George McIntosh of the parish of St. Andrews. By indenture hearing
date of 5 November 1772 made between James Spalding of the first part,
Margery Spalding, nee Margery McIntosh, spinster, of the second part;
and George McIntosh, Sir Patrick Houston Baronet, and Roger
Kelsal of the third part; that tract of land and plantation containing 500
acres lying in St. David’s parish. Also 30 Negro slaves: Bess with
her 6 sons and daughters named: Flora, Lydia (with her daughter
Susannah), Tom, March, Priscilla, and Kitty;
Ceaser with his two children Scot and John; Shoemaker Tom,
his wife Crissie; Big Tom; Aboo and Queen with their
daughters Hannah, Celia (with her daughter Jinny); Cato
and Sally with their children Nelly and Little Tom;
James and Bella with their son George; Paul; Stepney;
Will; and Black Charles together with their issue and increase of
the said females, who are limited to the use of the said William McIntosh,
Sir Patrick Houston, and Roger Kelsall.
This indenture was for the marriage of James Spalding and Margery
McIntosh. If James were to die, the parties of the third part
were to work the land and slaves as to advantage James’ estate and to
give Margery, if she should survive James, 200 pound sterling a
year every year until she died. If she were to marry again, she would only
receive 100 pounds yearly. After Margery’s death the party of the
third part were to give all of the plantation, lands, and slaves to whomever
James Spalding directed in his last will and testament.
If James were to survive Margery, her dower was to be turned
over to James, which included land and slaves. The land and slaves
were left in trust with George McIntosh, upon the death of the
Spaldings for their children.
Alex Baillie and John Sutherland witnessed the Spalding’s
signature. Recorded by John Goode 7 July 1787, Brunswick, Glynn
John Sutherland was sworn before John Goode as witness to the
signing of the indenture on 7 July 1788.
Page 17 Georgia Maria
Hillory’s mark; a swallow fork and upper half penny in the right ear, and a
figure of 7 of 7 in the left ear. Brand: figure of 3 enclosed in an O.
Received 27 November 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co.,
Page 18 East Florida 28
December 1784, in the 24th year of His Majesty’s reign, John Piles,
of St. Augustine, gave Ebenezer Piles, of St. Augustine, a Negro girl
John Hannah and Thomas Moore as witnesses. Recorded by
John Goode 15 July 1787, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 19 to page 20
Georgia James Spalding, farmer from St. Simons Island,
purchased at 870 pounds sterling 9 Negro men named James,
Glasgow Indian, Charles, Prince, Joe, Pollioore(?),
Mulatto Dick, Black Dick, and Lemon; one Negro woman named
Phillis and her six sons and daughters Gibby, Nancy,
Peter, Lissey, Lydia, and Elssie; one negro woman Grace; one
woman Lina with her daughter Phillis and five children Lucy,
Manuel, Sally, June, and Nancy; one woman Becky with her son
Carson; one woman Betsey with her two daughters Inda(?) and
Witnessed by W. Wickham and George Vinton on 11 August 1787.
William Wickham was a surgeon on St. Simons Island and was sworn as a
witness on 19 July 1788 before William Stevens J.P. Recorder by John
Goode 1 August 1788, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 20 William Stevens mark
and brand as follows, a swallow fork in each ear and a halfpenny in the left
ear, brand WS.
Recorded by John Goode 1 August 1788, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
William Tompkins mark, a swallow fork in each ear and a halfpenny in
the right ear, brand WT.
Recorded by John Goode 1 August 1788, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 21 to page 22 Georgia 5
April 1785, land survey for John Graves containing 287 and one half acres
with south prong of Little Satilla in Camden County, butting and bounding west
by Gilbert Harrison’s land, north by Peter Tarlings land, east by
said Graves Land, and south by vacant lands.
Surveyed 19 September 1785 by Robert Mortford, county surveyor and
Samuel Falton deputy surveyor. T. McCall, Surveyor General.
Land was granted by George Matthew, Esq., Captain and General Governor
and commander in chief of the state of Georgia on 17 January 1787.
Georgia secretary’s office, registered in Book M.M.M. 8 January 1787 by J.
Milton, secretary, Camden County, Georgia. Recorded 10 November 1788
by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 23 to page 24 Georgia
John Graves grant for 250 acres of land, adjoining the previous grant in
Camden County, Georgia. Bounded west by John Graves land, north by
Peter Tarling’s land, and on all other sides by vacant land. Grant
filed in Book M.M.M. folio 32, 22 January 1787 by J. Milton, secretary,
Camden County, Georgia.
Recorded 10 November 1788 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co.,
Georgia Warrant for survey of 500 acres of land in Camden
county on the south prong of the Little Satilla bounded by vacant lands for
Gilbert Harrison. 18 February 1785 Thomas McCall, Surveyor
Page 25 to page 26
Georgia Land grant for Gilbert Harrison for 500 acres
in Camden County, Georgia on the Little Satilla River. 24 January 1787 by
George Matthews, Governor.
Registered in Book M.M.M. folio 102, by J. Milton, secretary, 27
Recorded 10 May 1789 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 26 and 27
Liberty County, Georgia Agreement made on 6 June 1786
between Christopher Hillary of Liberty County, and James Spalding
of St. Simons Island, to wit Christopher Hillary purchased on 23 August
1785, at the sales of confiscated estates the following tracts of land: 3000
acres late James Hume’s south of the Altamaha, bound by William
Stevens; and 500 acres John Jameson’s, St. Andrews adjoining
McCullough’s on the Altamaha. Also a tract of 50 acres on St. Simons
Island owned by James Clubb and his wife. There was a penal sum of
300 pounds sterling.
Witnessed by Alex Forrester and Noel Faming. Recorded 10
July 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia..
Page 28 to page 33 Indenture made 16
May of the 15th year of the reign of our Sovereign George the third
of Great Britain, France, and Ireland and in the year 1775, between Moses
Bennett and wife Ann of St. Patrick’s parish, laborer; and Charles
Mozo of St. Patrick’s parish. On 5 January 1773, Moses sold 150
acres in St. Patrick’s parish to Charles Mozo, bounded southwesterly by
Johnson Turner, partly by salt marsh, on every other side by vacant
lands. Charles Mozo was to pay 5 shillings upon the sealing of this
document to Moses and Ann.
Witnessed by James Butler, Jr. and Jeremiah Warren.
Recorded 20 July 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia..
Page 34 to page 39 Indenture
made 24 July 1789 between Lacllan (might be Lachlan) McIntosh of
Chatham County and Rebecca Bruce of Liberty County for 150 acres of land
surrounded by salt marshes, creeks, and vacant lands. Five shillings
sterling was to be paid before the document was sealed, and one pepper corn for
rent until the land was in her possession.
Witnessed by James Spalding and George McIntosh. Recorded
21 July 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 40 Liberty County, Georgia
James Moore, attorney for the executrix of James Bruce of St.
Simons Island, appeared before John McIntosh, Jr., Justice for the
county, stating that he was in possession of bonds and notes of land from the
estate, and that a note for 62 pounds 15/2 was taken by the American Army on 19
May 1777, and from that period has been totally lost, and on the back of this
note was a receipt for 10 pounds.
Sworn before John McIntosh on St. Simons Island June 1789.
Recorded 21 July 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 41 to page 45 Georgia
Indenture dated 12 November 1784 between William O’Bryen of Savannah,
Georgia, gentleman; and Raymond Demere of Chatham County, Georgia selling
2600 acres, more or less, on the Little Satilla River in Glynn County formerly
owned by Richard Stephens of South Carolina and confiscated by the Lords
and estate of Capt. Ord of the British Navy under the act of confiscation.
Another 500 acres same location owned by Edward Barnard which was also
sold to William O‘Bryen under the Acts of Confiscation as of the Lands
and Estates of John Graham.
Witnessed by Daniel Goff and John Hart Richards. Recorded
22 July 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
John Hart Richards, gentleman of Chatham County, was sworn as a
witness before David Montargut, J.P. on 6 May 1788.
Page 46 to page 50 South Carolina
Indenture dated 5 August 1790 between the Hon. Pierce Butler of South
Carolina and his attorney Roger Parker Saunders of the first part, and
James Ladson of the second part. Pierce Butler sold 1500 acres, more
of less, of land being an island in the Altamaha River named Butler’s Island.
Also 1700 acres, more or less, on Frederica Island and known by the name of
Witnessed by Benjamin Bayley and Duncan Mason. Recorded
26 August 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Duncan Mason of Glynn County was sworn as a witness before James
Spalding, J.P. on 26 August 1790.
Page 51 to 52 Georgia
Indenture dated 6 April 1790 between Claude Thompson and Alexander
Bessett for 200 acres situated in Liberty County at the time of the grant
but now located in Glynn County. Bounded northwesterly by Colwill
and the west branch of the Altamaha River, easterly vacant and marsh lands,
south by Miller and Marsh lands.
Witnessed by James M(unreadable) and James H. Hall. On 28
August 1790, James H. Hall was sworn as a witness before John Goode.
Recorded 28 August 17890 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 52 to 54
Glynn County, Georgia Indenture dated 22 July 1790 between
James and Margery Spalding on the one part and Christopher
Hillary on the second part. In that under penalty of 300 pounds
sterling, James Spalding, on 6 June 1786, granted 50 acres of land on
Great St. Simons Island, bounded southwardly by St. Simons Island, westerly by
salt marsh, and northwardly by land originally granted Jacob Whitter(?)
known by the place where James Clubb at present resides.
Witnessed by John Graves and William Stevens. On 7
September 1790, William Stevens of Glynn County was sworn as a witness
before John Goode, J.P. Recorded 2 October 1790 by John Goode,
Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 55 to page 57 Georgia
Indenture dated 22 August 1785 between Abraham Raush, Hugh Lawson,
and Hepworth Carter (commissioners appointed for carrying into execution
an act of the said state passed 4 May 1782 for setting penalties on and
confiscating estates of such persons as are therein declared guilty of treason)
on the one part, and James Spalding on the second part. Whereas by
the said act, James Hume is banished from the state and all of his
possessions confiscated and sold. Possessions contained 3000 acres in
Glynn County bounded north by the Altamaha, on the east by Richard Stevens,
west by vacant lands and land of William Kelsey. James Spalding
being the highest bidder at the sale for a sum of 3037 pounds.
Sealed and delivered in the presence of Arthur Hays, witness to the
signing of Abraham Raush and Hugh Lawson.
Seaborn Jones, Mordecai T(unreadable). Witness to the
signing of Abraham Raush, Christopher Hillary.
Christopher was sworn before John Goode on 17 September 1790.
Recorded 8 October 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 58 to page 60 Indenture
dated 22 August 1785, same parties as above. It says here that James
Spalding is of Liberty County. John Jameison, Esq., is banished from
the state under the Act mentioned above. His land (500 acres more or less)
was located in Liberty County bounded south by the Altamaha River, west by lands
of John McCullough, north by Cat Head Creek, easterly by lands of
William McIntosh and Catharine Douglass and originally granted
unto Robert Bailie. James Spalding was the highest bidder at 2975
Subscribed and delivered as above.
[Mordecai’s last name may be
Sheftall. See this website for more on Mordecai
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/jewish/sheftall.asp Thanks to Susan
Col. Christopher Hillary of Glynn County was sworn before John
Goode on 17 September 1790. Recorded 17 October 1790 by John Goode,
Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 61 to page 70 Georgia
Indenture dated 28 February 1789 between Michael Rudolph and his wife
Sarah of Liberty County on the one part and Edward Talbott,
gentleman, of the second part. Edward purchased 3650 acres of land
granted to Michael Rudolph under the grand seal of Georgia. This
land was located in Glynn County, bounded north by new survey, easterly by
Helvistone I. Nunn and William J. Baker’s land, south by old surveys
and vacant land, lying on the head and branches of the Great Buffalo Swamp.
Witnessed by Thomas White, Sampson George Hilliard, and
Sampson G. Hilliard was sworn as a witness before John Goode on
9 March 1789. Recorded 19 February 1791 by John Goode, Brunswick,
Glynn Co., Georgia.
On 9 March 1789, Sarah Rudolph was examined by John Graves and
deposed that she willing knows and agrees with the sale.
There is a second indenture between the same parties for 3000 acres of land
in Glynn County dated 1 March 1789. Bounded southwesterly by John
Palmer and vacant lands, eastwardly by Turtle River, Martin Palmer,
and part of the aforesaid survey, and John Whithead’s land, southwardly
by Little Satilla River, and westwardly by vacant lands.
The same witnesses, but this time, Sampson’s last name is spelled
Hyland and he was sworn as a witness before John Graves on 9 March
Sarah Rudolph voluntarily consented to the sale in front of John
Graves. Recorded 21 July 1791 by John Graves, Brunswick, Glynn
A third indenture dated 1 March 1789 between the same parties for 5900 acres
in Glynn County. This land was granted to Michael Rudolph on 22
April 1788 as the other lands were. Bounded on the northwest by George
Johnson and John McIntosh’s land, northeast by new survey, southeast
by old survey and vacant lands, and southwest by John Couper, James
Gignilliat and M.J. McIntosh’s land on the Great Buffalo Swamp.
Same witnesses, Sampson’s last name is spelled Hyland here also
and he was sworn as a witness in front of John Graves on 9 March 1790.
Sarah voluntarily agreed to the sale of lands before John Graves.
Recorded 22 February 1791 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn County,
Page 71 to page 80 Georgia
Indenture dated 20 February 1791 between Richard Leake of Liberty County
and Francis Marie Loys Dumoussay de la Vauve at present of Chatham County
for the sale of an island known as Jekyl situate in the county of Liberty,
bounded north by Saint Simons River or inlet, and on the south by St. Andrew’s
sound, containing 1500 acres more or less.
Can not read the witnesses names, may be Justus H. Schurber, J.P. and
Joseph Welscher, notary public. Recorded 8 March 1791 by John
Goode, Brunswick, Glynn County, Georgia.
On 15 February 1791 an indenture was entered between the above named stating
that Sheriff John Dollar of Liberty County sold the said island to
Richard Leake according to the wishes of Fieri Facias (a tax) on 30 February
John Ervine and Eleanor Patton, as administrator and
administratrix of John Patton deceased, filed a judgment against
Richard Leake as administrator for Clement Martin the Elder, for 34
pounds and eleven shillings. John Dollar seized the island from
Clement Martin and sold it to the highest bidder, being Richard Leake,
under the wishes of Fieri Facias.
Witnessed by Joseph Welscher, notary public, and Justus Schurber(?)
Jane Leake, Richard’s wife, testified on 14 February 1791, in
front of Justus Schuber, that she knowingly and voluntarily agrees with
her husband on the sale of the island.