Early Indenture Book
This book is located in a storage closet in the Superior Court office. I am not sure what the exact title of the book should be, as it has no markings to say what it was for. The first few pages were for letters of administration to estates, then there is an "index" page where you would put names under their corresponding letter with the page number, like most of these old books use.
After the index, there are indentures starting from 1772 and going up to 1791. There were only 80 pages, and not your typical full page either. There could be three "pages" on one full size page. I do not understand why this was done.
The following is a synopsis of what was contained within each indenture; names, dates, land description, etc.
Due to the age of the book, it of course was falling apart. While extracting these records, I removed the last half of the book (don't panic, it was already separated there), imagine my surprise to find a love letter written on one of the pages dated 21 August 1865! I have transcribed that here also.
William Page, John Gignilliat, and John Couper, Justices of the Court of Ordinary; Isaac Abrahams, Clerk of Glynn County. James Harrington died intestate. Isaac Abrahams administrator. 12 January 1810. (continued on page 2)
Page 3 Martha Harrington died intestate, Isaac Abrahams as administrator.
Thomas Boyd McKinnon died intestate and John Carnochan was administrator granted by Thomas W. Charlton, Esq., judge of Superior Court. 4 September 1810.
Page 4 William Stevens died
intestate, Elva Stevens administratrix. 15 September 1810.
After the table of contents, the pages start over at number 1 and the year of 1787. One indenture is dated 1772.
Page 1 Commonwealth of Massachusetts: John Tracy, Esq., of Newbury Port, is appointed Justice of the Peace for the county of Essex. 13 March 1787, in the 11th year of the Independence of the United States. James Bowdoin, governor of Mass.; granted by Comm. John Avery Joseph(?).
Page 2 to Page 9 South Carolina: Indenture dated 9 March 1787 between Nathaniel Tracy of Newbury Port with the County of Essex, Commonwealth of Mass.; and Mary, his wife, and William Scarborough of Charleston, South Carolina. William was to pay 20 shillings to seal this record for purchasing a plantation that at the time of the original grant was located in South Carolina, but is now in Georgia. The tract of land contains 3,446 acres and originally granted to William Harvey bearing the date 21 May 1763, situated southward of the Altamaha River and bounded to the eastward by land surveys for Richard Stevens, and westward by vacant land, and land possessed by William Kelsey, and to the Northwards by the Altamaha River and southward by vacant lands. The plantation was sold to James Hume, Esq., by William Harvey. John Hume and Alexander Rose conveyed it to Nathaniel Tracy and his wife Mary, to sell in whole the gardens, orchards, fences, ways, wells, waters, water courses, easements, profits, commodities, advantages, etc. Signed by Nathaniel & Mary Tracy, William Scarborough. Witness to the Tracy’s signatures were Alexander Moore and John Lubb(?). Witnesses to Wm. Scarborough’s signature were James Patterson and Robert Garonere(? could be Garonne).
William Scarborough paid 12,000 pounds South Carolina money due by the 1st of March 1788. Brunswick, Glynn County, Georgia entered in Book A, page 1 by John Goode of the clerks office.
Page 9 South Carolina A note from Lewis Bona of the parish of St. Hellena in South Carolina, appointing his friend, John Palmer, to act as law on a certain tract of land containing 250 acres granted to him in the year 1774, also respecting certain Negroes, one a tall yellow fellow named Jack, knock need about 20 years old, also one small black fellow named Joe about 30 years old, a bricklayer by trade. Dated 9 June 1787. Witnessed by John Whiting(?) and Jack Hawkins. Received by John Goode and recorded 5 July 1787, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
The mark of John Palmer, a smooth crop in the left ear and figure 7 in the right ear. His brand thus an M and P joined together. The mark of Martin Palmer, a crop with the left ear and a swallow fork with the right, same brand as John Palmer. Received by John Goode, 5 July 1787, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 12 to 17 Georgia Indenture made 28 April 1772, and in the twelfth year of the reign of His Majesty King George the third, between James Spalding of the town of Frederica and parish of St. James, merchant, and Margery his wife; and George McIntosh of the parish of St. Andrews. By indenture hearing date of 5 November 1772 made between James Spalding of the first part, Margery Spalding, nee Margery McIntosh, spinster, of the second part; and George McIntosh, Sir Patrick Houston Baronet, and Roger Kelsal of the third part; that tract of land and plantation containing 500 acres lying in St. David’s parish. Also 30 Negro slaves: Bess with her 6 sons and daughters named: Flora, Lydia (with her daughter Susannah), Tom, March, Priscilla, and Kitty; Ceaser with his two children Scot and John; Shoemaker Tom, his wife Crissie; Big Tom; Aboo and Queen with their daughters Hannah, Celia (with her daughter Jinny); Cato and Sally with their children Nelly and Little Tom; James and Bella with their son George; Paul; Stepney; Will; and Black Charles together with their issue and increase of the said females, who are limited to the use of the said William McIntosh, Sir Patrick Houston, and Roger Kelsall.
This indenture was for the marriage of James Spalding and Margery McIntosh. If James were to die, the parties of the third part were to work the land and slaves as to advantage James’ estate and to give Margery, if she should survive James, 200 pound sterling a year every year until she died. If she were to marry again, she would only receive 100 pounds yearly. After Margery’s death the party of the third part were to give all of the plantation, lands, and slaves to whomever James Spalding directed in his last will and testament.
If James were to survive Margery, her dower was to be turned over to James, which included land and slaves. The land and slaves were left in trust with George McIntosh, upon the death of the Spaldings for their children.
Alex Baillie and John Sutherland witnessed the Spalding’s signature. Recorded by John Goode 7 July 1787, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
John Sutherland was sworn before John Goode as witness to the signing of the indenture on 7 July 1788.
Page 17 Georgia Maria Hillory’s mark; a swallow fork and upper half penny in the right ear, and a figure of 7 of 7 in the left ear. Brand: figure of 3 enclosed in an O.
Received 27 November 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 18 East Florida 28 December 1784, in the 24th year of His Majesty’s reign, John Piles, of St. Augustine, gave Ebenezer Piles, of St. Augustine, a Negro girl named Kate.
John Hannah and Thomas Moore as witnesses. Recorded by John Goode 15 July 1787, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 19 to page 20 Georgia James Spalding, farmer from St. Simons Island, purchased at 870 pounds sterling 9 Negro men named James, Glasgow Indian, Charles, Prince, Joe, Pollioore(?), Mulatto Dick, Black Dick, and Lemon; one Negro woman named Phillis and her six sons and daughters Gibby, Nancy, Peter, Lissey, Lydia, and Elssie; one negro woman Grace; one woman Lina with her daughter Phillis and five children Lucy, Manuel, Sally, June, and Nancy; one woman Becky with her son Carson; one woman Betsey with her two daughters Inda(?) and Sarah.
Witnessed by W. Wickham and George Vinton on 11 August 1787. William Wickham was a surgeon on St. Simons Island and was sworn as a witness on 19 July 1788 before William Stevens J.P. Recorder by John Goode 1 August 1788, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 20 William Stevens mark and brand as follows, a swallow fork in each ear and a halfpenny in the left ear, brand WS.
Recorded by John Goode 1 August 1788, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
William Tompkins mark, a swallow fork in each ear and a halfpenny in the right ear, brand WT.
Recorded by John Goode 1 August 1788, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 21 to page 22 Georgia 5 April 1785, land survey for John Graves containing 287 and one half acres with south prong of Little Satilla in Camden County, butting and bounding west by Gilbert Harrison’s land, north by Peter Tarlings land, east by said Graves Land, and south by vacant lands.
Surveyed 19 September 1785 by Robert Mortford, county surveyor and Samuel Falton deputy surveyor. T. McCall, Surveyor General.
Land was granted by George Matthew, Esq., Captain and General Governor and commander in chief of the state of Georgia on 17 January 1787.
Georgia secretary’s office, registered in Book M.M.M. 8 January 1787 by J. Milton, secretary, Camden County, Georgia. Recorded 10 November 1788 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 23 to page 24 Georgia John Graves grant for 250 acres of land, adjoining the previous grant in Camden County, Georgia. Bounded west by John Graves land, north by Peter Tarling’s land, and on all other sides by vacant land. Grant filed in Book M.M.M. folio 32, 22 January 1787 by J. Milton, secretary, Camden County, Georgia.
Recorded 10 November 1788 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 25 Georgia Warrant for survey of 500 acres of land in Camden county on the south prong of the Little Satilla bounded by vacant lands for Gilbert Harrison. 18 February 1785 Thomas McCall, Surveyor General.
Page 25 to page 26 Georgia Land grant for Gilbert Harrison for 500 acres in Camden County, Georgia on the Little Satilla River. 24 January 1787 by George Matthews, Governor.
Registered in Book M.M.M. folio 102, by J. Milton, secretary, 27 January 1787.
Recorded 10 May 1789 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 26 and 27 Liberty County, Georgia Agreement made on 6 June 1786 between Christopher Hillary of Liberty County, and James Spalding of St. Simons Island, to wit Christopher Hillary purchased on 23 August 1785, at the sales of confiscated estates the following tracts of land: 3000 acres late James Hume’s south of the Altamaha, bound by William Stevens; and 500 acres John Jameson’s, St. Andrews adjoining McCullough’s on the Altamaha. Also a tract of 50 acres on St. Simons Island owned by James Clubb and his wife. There was a penal sum of 300 pounds sterling.
Witnessed by Alex Forrester and Noel Faming. Recorded 10 July 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia..
Page 28 to page 33 Indenture made 16 May of the 15th year of the reign of our Sovereign George the third of Great Britain, France, and Ireland and in the year 1775, between Moses Bennett and wife Ann of St. Patrick’s parish, laborer; and Charles Mozo of St. Patrick’s parish. On 5 January 1773, Moses sold 150 acres in St. Patrick’s parish to Charles Mozo, bounded southwesterly by Johnson Turner, partly by salt marsh, on every other side by vacant lands. Charles Mozo was to pay 5 shillings upon the sealing of this document to Moses and Ann.
Witnessed by James Butler, Jr. and Jeremiah Warren. Recorded 20 July 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia..
Page 34 to page 39 Indenture made 24 July 1789 between Lacllan (might be Lachlan) McIntosh of Chatham County and Rebecca Bruce of Liberty County for 150 acres of land surrounded by salt marshes, creeks, and vacant lands. Five shillings sterling was to be paid before the document was sealed, and one pepper corn for rent until the land was in her possession.
Witnessed by James Spalding and George McIntosh. Recorded 21 July 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 40 Liberty County, Georgia James Moore, attorney for the executrix of James Bruce of St. Simons Island, appeared before John McIntosh, Jr., Justice for the county, stating that he was in possession of bonds and notes of land from the estate, and that a note for 62 pounds 15/2 was taken by the American Army on 19 May 1777, and from that period has been totally lost, and on the back of this note was a receipt for 10 pounds.
Sworn before John McIntosh on St. Simons Island June 1789. Recorded 21 July 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 41 to page 45 Georgia Indenture dated 12 November 1784 between William O’Bryen of Savannah, Georgia, gentleman; and Raymond Demere of Chatham County, Georgia selling 2600 acres, more or less, on the Little Satilla River in Glynn County formerly owned by Richard Stephens of South Carolina and confiscated by the Lords and estate of Capt. Ord of the British Navy under the act of confiscation. Another 500 acres same location owned by Edward Barnard which was also sold to William O‘Bryen under the Acts of Confiscation as of the Lands and Estates of John Graham.
Witnessed by Daniel Goff and John Hart Richards. Recorded 22 July 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
John Hart Richards, gentleman of Chatham County, was sworn as a witness before David Montargut, J.P. on 6 May 1788.
Page 46 to page 50 South Carolina Indenture dated 5 August 1790 between the Hon. Pierce Butler of South Carolina and his attorney Roger Parker Saunders of the first part, and James Ladson of the second part. Pierce Butler sold 1500 acres, more of less, of land being an island in the Altamaha River named Butler’s Island. Also 1700 acres, more or less, on Frederica Island and known by the name of Hampton Point.
Witnessed by Benjamin Bayley and Duncan Mason. Recorded 26 August 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Duncan Mason of Glynn County was sworn as a witness before James Spalding, J.P. on 26 August 1790.
Page 51 to 52 Georgia Indenture dated 6 April 1790 between Claude Thompson and Alexander Bessett for 200 acres situated in Liberty County at the time of the grant but now located in Glynn County. Bounded northwesterly by Colwill and the west branch of the Altamaha River, easterly vacant and marsh lands, south by Miller and Marsh lands.
Witnessed by James M(unreadable) and James H. Hall. On 28 August 1790, James H. Hall was sworn as a witness before John Goode. Recorded 28 August 17890 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 52 to 54 Glynn County, Georgia Indenture dated 22 July 1790 between James and Margery Spalding on the one part and Christopher Hillary on the second part. In that under penalty of 300 pounds sterling, James Spalding, on 6 June 1786, granted 50 acres of land on Great St. Simons Island, bounded southwardly by St. Simons Island, westerly by salt marsh, and northwardly by land originally granted Jacob Whitter(?) known by the place where James Clubb at present resides.
Witnessed by John Graves and William Stevens. On 7 September 1790, William Stevens of Glynn County was sworn as a witness before John Goode, J.P. Recorded 2 October 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 55 to page 57 Georgia Indenture dated 22 August 1785 between Abraham Raush, Hugh Lawson, and Hepworth Carter (commissioners appointed for carrying into execution an act of the said state passed 4 May 1782 for setting penalties on and confiscating estates of such persons as are therein declared guilty of treason) on the one part, and James Spalding on the second part. Whereas by the said act, James Hume is banished from the state and all of his possessions confiscated and sold. Possessions contained 3000 acres in Glynn County bounded north by the Altamaha, on the east by Richard Stevens, west by vacant lands and land of William Kelsey. James Spalding being the highest bidder at the sale for a sum of 3037 pounds.
Sealed and delivered in the presence of Arthur Hays, witness to the signing of Abraham Raush and Hugh Lawson.
Seaborn Jones, Mordecai T(unreadable). Witness to the signing of Abraham Raush, Christopher Hillary.
Christopher was sworn before John Goode on 17 September 1790. Recorded 8 October 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 58 to page 60 Indenture dated 22 August 1785, same parties as above. It says here that James Spalding is of Liberty County. John Jameison, Esq., is banished from the state under the Act mentioned above. His land (500 acres more or less) was located in Liberty County bounded south by the Altamaha River, west by lands of John McCullough, north by Cat Head Creek, easterly by lands of William McIntosh and Catharine Douglass and originally granted unto Robert Bailie. James Spalding was the highest bidder at 2975 pounds.
Subscribed and delivered as above.
[Mordecai’s last name may be Sheftall. See this website for more on Mordecai http://www.jewishworldreview.com/jewish/sheftall.asp Thanks to Susan Peterson]
Col. Christopher Hillary of Glynn County was sworn before John Goode on 17 September 1790. Recorded 17 October 1790 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
Page 61 to page 70 Georgia Indenture dated 28 February 1789 between Michael Rudolph and his wife Sarah of Liberty County on the one part and Edward Talbott, gentleman, of the second part. Edward purchased 3650 acres of land granted to Michael Rudolph under the grand seal of Georgia. This land was located in Glynn County, bounded north by new survey, easterly by Helvistone I. Nunn and William J. Baker’s land, south by old surveys and vacant land, lying on the head and branches of the Great Buffalo Swamp.
Witnessed by Thomas White, Sampson George Hilliard, and Isaiah Carter.
Sampson G. Hilliard was sworn as a witness before John Goode on 9 March 1789. Recorded 19 February 1791 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
On 9 March 1789, Sarah Rudolph was examined by John Graves and deposed that she willing knows and agrees with the sale.
There is a second indenture between the same parties for 3000 acres of land in Glynn County dated 1 March 1789. Bounded southwesterly by John Palmer and vacant lands, eastwardly by Turtle River, Martin Palmer, and part of the aforesaid survey, and John Whithead’s land, southwardly by Little Satilla River, and westwardly by vacant lands.
The same witnesses, but this time, Sampson’s last name is spelled Hyland and he was sworn as a witness before John Graves on 9 March 1789.
Sarah Rudolph voluntarily consented to the sale in front of John Graves. Recorded 21 July 1791 by John Graves, Brunswick, Glynn Co., Georgia.
A third indenture dated 1 March 1789 between the same parties for 5900 acres in Glynn County. This land was granted to Michael Rudolph on 22 April 1788 as the other lands were. Bounded on the northwest by George Johnson and John McIntosh’s land, northeast by new survey, southeast by old survey and vacant lands, and southwest by John Couper, James Gignilliat and M.J. McIntosh’s land on the Great Buffalo Swamp.
Same witnesses, Sampson’s last name is spelled Hyland here also and he was sworn as a witness in front of John Graves on 9 March 1790. Sarah voluntarily agreed to the sale of lands before John Graves. Recorded 22 February 1791 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn County, Georgia.
Page 71 to page 80 Georgia Indenture dated 20 February 1791 between Richard Leake of Liberty County and Francis Marie Loys Dumoussay de la Vauve at present of Chatham County for the sale of an island known as Jekyl situate in the county of Liberty, bounded north by Saint Simons River or inlet, and on the south by St. Andrew’s sound, containing 1500 acres more or less.
Can not read the witnesses names, may be Justus H. Schurber, J.P. and Joseph Welscher, notary public. Recorded 8 March 1791 by John Goode, Brunswick, Glynn County, Georgia.
On 15 February 1791 an indenture was entered between the above named stating that Sheriff John Dollar of Liberty County sold the said island to Richard Leake according to the wishes of Fieri Facias (a tax) on 30 February 1784.
John Ervine and Eleanor Patton, as administrator and administratrix of John Patton deceased, filed a judgment against Richard Leake as administrator for Clement Martin the Elder, for 34 pounds and eleven shillings. John Dollar seized the island from Clement Martin and sold it to the highest bidder, being Richard Leake, under the wishes of Fieri Facias.
Witnessed by Joseph Welscher, notary public, and Justus Schurber(?)
Jane Leake, Richard’s wife, testified on 14 February 1791, in front of Justus Schuber, that she knowingly and voluntarily agrees with her husband on the sale of the island.
I have included a full size scan of this letter, because I can not make it out, the following is what I could decipher, maybe you may figure out more. Also, the bottom of the letter was cut off, as it wouldn't fit in one scan. Plus the scribble wasn't very legible. However, by looking through the whole book, I found a name doodled over and over, and it matches with the name at the bottom of this letter. The name is Disey Blackburn.
Copyright ©GlynnGen.com All Rights Reserved
Material on this site is one of kind, having been published here for the first time ever. This data was compiled by Amy Hedrick
for the GlynnGen website to be used for your personal use and it is not to be reproduced in any manner on other websites or electronic media,
nor is it to be printed in any resource books or materials. Thank you!
Want to make a contribution?
Donate via PayPal: