St. Mark's Episcopal
A.D. 1858 In the month of April, 1858 the four Episcopalians residing in the town of Brunswick, Georgia, met together to organize a Parish. At this meeting Mr. Robt. Hazlehurst & Col. C.L. Schlatter were elected wardens, and Moses A. Scranton, James Farmer, G.C. Norton, J.T. Blain, Robt. Hazlehurst, M.D., and G.D. Woodbridge, M.D. were elected clergymen. Mr. G.C. Norton was elected Secretary & Treasurer. At the same meeting the name of St. Mark's was adopted.
Previous to the time, and during the year 1857, the Rev. E.T. Brown Rector of Christ Church, St. Simons Island and of St. David's at Cartaret's Point twelve miles above Brunswick, had held services in Brunswick upon the evenings of the Sundays on which he officiated at St. David's. This he had done at considerable labor and inconvenience to himself, as he had first to hold services in the morning and afternoons in St. David's.
In 1858 the Parish of St. Mark's Brunswick was received into the Conventions of the Diocese of Georgia, at the meeting of that body which was held in May.
Shortly after this organization of the Parish, a list was opened for subscriptions towards the support of the Church in Brunswick, but the amount subscribed did not justify the vestry in calling a Pastor. During the same year the ladies of the Parish organized a sewing society to aid in erecting a Church building. They succeeded in raising several hundred dollars, which they deposited in Bank in Savannah. By the subsequent failure of the Bank the money was lost.
A.D. 1859 Rev. Robt. Croes In February 1859, Bishop Elliot sent the Rev. Robt. Croes, a clergyman from New Jersey, to take charge of the Parish. The Rev. Mr. Croes had come to the south for change of climate. A large room, known as McConn's Hall was rented, in which services were held. Finding his health too much impaired to labor any longer, Mr. Croes left the Parish in May of the same year.
Rev. E.T. Brown The Rev. E.T. Brown, Rector of Christ Church St. Simons, etc., then suggested to give the Parish one Sunday morning, and two evening services a month for the balance of the summer. A Sunday school was organized at this time and continued in successful operation until the commencement of the Civil War.
A.D. 1860 Rev. J.D. Easter In 1860 the Rt. Rev. Stephen Elliot, Bishop of Georgia, sent the Rev. John D. Easter to take charge of St. Mark's in connection with the Church at St. Mary's, Camden County. A small house which had been built for a school house was purchased and fitted up in a very plain manner for the congregation to worship in. After the present Church was completed this building was sold to some colored Baptists, who removed it to another site. It is now [July 1880] known as the Shiloh Church.
A.D. 1861 Rev. Geo. Easter In the Summer of 1861, the Rev. J.D. Easter removed from Brunswick and left his brother, the Rev. George Easter, then on Deacon's orders, in his place.
In October 1861, owing to the progress of the war, all the citizens left Brunswick and Mr. Easter went to Savannah.
A.D. 1866 In 1866 [the Civil War having closed in the spring of 1865] the Rev. E.T. Brown, Rector of St. David's Glynn County, visited Brunswick on the second Sunday in April, and preached twice in the Methodist Church, the parish church being in a condition which unfitted it for divine service. Mr. Brown recommended in his report to the Diocesan Convention in May following that Missionary services be established in Brunswick in connection with some other places.
Rev. Josh. Knowles In November 1866, the Rev. Joshua Knowles, being then in Deacon's orders, was appointed by the Rt. Rev. Stephen Elliot, missionary to the Parishes of St. Andrew's Darien and St. Mark's Brunswick. The Rev. Mr. Knowles reported to the Diocesan Convention in May 1867; forty Communicants and ten waiting Confirmation. Shortly after Mr. Knowles took charge of St. Mark's the chapel was repaired and a Sunday school organized.
A.D. 1867 Rev. S.J. Pinkerton The Rev. Mr. Knowles did not remain long in Brunswick, probably not a year, for in November 1867 the Rev. Saml. J. Pinkerton became Rector. Mr. Pinkerton continued in charge of the Parish one year and seven months and resigned on 1 June 1869. To the Conventions of 1869 he reported 54 persons as Confirmed during the past year and the present number of Communicants as ninety-eight.
A.D. 1869 Rev. C.H. Coley On the second Sunday in November 1869 the Rev. Charles H. Coley entered upon his duties as Rector of St. Mark's and remained in charge two years and eight months; resigning on 7 July 1872. During Mr. Coley's incumbency steps were taken towards erecting the present Church building.
A.D. 1872 Rev. Ch. Ritter On 6 December 1872, the Rev. Charles Ritter accepted a call to the Rectorship and resigned on 23 July 1873. During Mr. Ritter's incumbency the building of the new Church was commenced, the corner stone being laid by the Rt. Rev. J.W. Beckwith, Bishop of Georgia on 26 January 1873. In April of the same year, the Parish met with a severe loss in the death of T.M. Nightingale, Esq., senior warden. For nearly a year after the resignation of the Rev. Chs. Ritter the Parish was vacant.
A.D. 1874 Not long after the meeting of the Diocesan Convention in May 1874, the new Church was completed. The principal donations to the building fund were from the following parties:
Ms. Mary Lee Stewart of Philadelphia $2,287.13
Rev. Tho. Boone About the 10th of June 1874, the Rev. Thomas Boone became Rector, and remained in charge about two years. In the fall of this year the Rev. Mr. Boone opened a parish school. In 1875 the senior warden, Hon. Thomas M. Forman, died.
A.D. 1876 On the 25th of February 1876 the new Church was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. J.W. Beckwith, Bishop of Georgia. The church building with it's furniture, together with the lot on which it stands, cost $11,200.00.
In the summer of this year, about the month of August, yellow fever broke out in Brunswick and raged as an epidemic until the winter. The Rector's wife was one of the first victims, he being absent at the time on a visit to Philadelphia. Mr. Boone returned home as soon as he heard of his wife's illness and of the sickness prevailing in Brunswick, but before his arrival, Mrs. Boone had �fallen asleep� and was buried in Oak Grove Cemetery. Mr. Boone at once went about among the sick and dying, and continued his labors until he was stricken down by a severe attack of the disease. When sufficiently recovered to be able to go elsewhere for the restoration of his health, the Rev. Mr. Boone resigned the Rectorship of St. Mark's Church.
The Parish was now again left for some time without a Rector.
A.D. 1877 On the 8th of April 1877, the Rev. Henry E. Lucas officiated for the first time in St. Mark's Church as Rector. On his arrival in Brunswick Mr. Lucas found the Parish school in operation, having two teachers and about forty scholars. At this time there was no public school in Brunswick. The opening of the public schools by the Commissioners in the fall took away so many scholars from the Parish School that it was found impossible to support it. The school was therefore closed in the summer of 1878. During the year 1878 a school house was built in the rear of the Church and the entire lot upon which the two buildings stand was enclosed by a substantial fence. The school house was erected as a memorial to the late Mr. Thomas Boone. In 1879 [June] the outside of the church, including the roof, was thoroughly painted. On the first Sunday in July of this year, the Rector commenced paying for nightly visits to Hamilton on St. Simons Island, leaving Brunswick on Sunday after morning service in St. Mark's, and officiating at Hamilton in the afternoon. These services have been continued to the present time. In July 1880, when this sketch was written, steps are being taken towards the erection of a Rectory. The lumber has been contributed and a lot near the Church secured. The Sunday school house is being ceiled [?] inside, throughout, and blinds put on; pews also having been ordered for the accommodations of the scholars.
Present wardens, J.T. Blain and Robt. Hazlehurst, vestrymen: J.K. Nightingale, J.M. Couper, Henry C. Day, H.L. Hine.
A.D. 1880, July 31st The above was written by Henry E. Lucas, the present Rector.
A.D. 1888, April 23rd The Rectory, the building of which was contemplated when the above sketch was written, was finished in August 1881. The Rector moving into it on the 17th day of that month. The cost of the ground, 180 feet square, of the Rectory, outbuildings, and fences, amounted to about $4600.00, a portion of the materials used having been donated. The property is now assessed by the City at $5600.00. At that time -viz. August 1881- there was a debt upon the property of $2900.00. Every dollar of which has since been paid. At the present moment, the Parish may be said to be clear of debt. Salaries, and insurance on all the property of the Parish are all paid up to date and there is no lien on any of the property held by the Parish. There is an outstanding note, a personal one, given by some of the members of the Vestry for $300.00 spent in putting a new furnace under the Church a year ago. A larger sum than this however is on deposit at the First National Bank so that the note could be taken up at once. It has been deemed best to let the note run on another year and to apply the cash in hand [part of the Easter offering] to the painting of the Church and Rectory for the preservation of the property. It may be worthy of mention that since the first sketch was written, a set of solid silver vessels [five pieces] for the Holy Communion has been presented to the Parish by Miss Cornelia King of Long Island, New York, also a fire proof Marvin Safe given by the Sunday school in which are kept the Parish Records, and the Communion Plate. In 1886 a donation of $1000.00 was received from Mr. & Mrs. Jno E. du Bignon towards the payment of the debt then resting on the Rectory. Last August , members of the congregation and the Chapter of Industry presented the Rector with a horse and buggy costing $350.00
A.D. 1889, January In January 1889 the Rector handed over to Bishop Beckwith a deed signed by all the members of the Vestry and the wardens, transferring it's Rectory to himself, Bishop Beckwith as Bishop of Georgia, and to his successors in office, to be held in trust for the congregation of St. Mark's. The same was done with the Church and lot on which it stands in 1887 or 1888.
[signed] Henry E. Lucas
History from Volume 3
August 1897 Historical Notes, continued from P. 10 Vol. II--
On 24 February 1884 the Rector of St. Mark's commenced holding an evening service in the Sunday School Room for colored people. The Rev. A.G.P. Dodge, who soon became interested in the work, offered to furnish a regular missionary to carry on the work. Until the Rev. W.A.W. Maybin took charge in September 1888. Services were held with more or less regularity by the Rev. A.G.P. Dodge and the Rev. Henry E. Lucas. The outgrowth of this beginning is the present St. Athanasius, of which the Rev. J.J. Perry is in charge at this date.
In 1885 the Rev. A.G.P. Dodge offered to build a chapel in New Town and to furnish a missionary. This offer was accepted by the Rector of St. Mark's with the understanding that the mission would be carried on in connection with that parish and as part of it's work. The Rev. D. Watson Winn, who was put in charge in June 1889, objected however to acting as an assistant, stating that he preferred carrying on the work independently of the Parish Church. Since therefore St. Mark's had given nothing towards the erection of the building, known as St. Jude's and consecrated 12 January 1890, and gave nothing towards the payment of the salary of the missionary; the Rector of St. Mark's felt a delicacy in declining to agree to such an arrangement. Therefore St. Jude's became, practically, though not legally, an independent work. Subsequently the Rector of St. Mark's turned the mission over, formally, to the Bishop of the Diocese. On 25 June 1892, at a meeting of the vestry of St. Mark's, it was resolved to enlarge and repair the church and to add a bell tower and steeple. On 17 April 1893 Mr. and Mrs. F.A. Boyle of the Building Committee reported the work on the church completed. Fifteen feet had been added to the length of the Nave, the chancel had been enlarged and the church carpeted throughout. The total cost including bell towers and filing up the lower portion of the lot amounted to $2,736.01.
On 29 September 1896, a severe tornado struck Brunswick. The bell tower was thrown down and the church itself was damaged. The injury done to the building was promptly repaired, but the tower had not been rebuilt at this date 10 August 1897.
The rectorship became vacant by the death of the Rev. Henry E. Lucas 3 February 1900.
The Rev. William L. Peavy became the Rector of the parish in May 1900 and resigned at the end of the year  after a period of ill health.
In January 1902, the Rev. Wyllys Rede, D.D. of St. James� Church, Newport, Delaware, was elected to the rectorship and began his ??? On the first of March. There was at this time an indebtedness of $1200, partly from the improvements and repairs noted above and partly from current expenses remaining unpaid. One third of this was paid from the Easter offering in 1902 and the remainder in 1903. In the summer of 1902 the Parish House was enlarged and improved and the church property surrounded by a fence and a hedge of privet and otherwise improved. At Easter 1903, a complete set of Prayer Books and Hymnals and an Alter Book, all of the finest quality, were given by members of the congregation for use in the church. In December, 1903, all the women of the parish were organized into a branch of the Woman's Auxiliary, with chapters of Aid, Mercy, Church Extension, Sanctuary, and Welcome for the special lines of work indicated by these names. In 1904 the dormant chapter of the Brotherhood of St. Andrew was revived. At Easter the new pipe organ, built by John Brown of Wilmington, Delaware, was secured and partly paid for. The first payment for it being made at Easter 1905. The ??? choir for men and boys was installed at Christmas 1904, with Rev. George Blakely as choirmaster, Rev. R. Ernest Dart as organist, and Rev. A.V. Wood as leader, all expenses necessary being promptly met by the congregation. The processional was given by Mrs. C. Downing at Eastertide, 1905, and the vesper lights by Mrs. P.M. Nightingale at the same time. In November, 1905, a parochial mission was conducted by the Rev. Father Sill and Hu???, of the Order of the Holy Cross, which profoundly influenced the spiritual life of the parish and proved helpful to wary souls. At Easter, 1906, the Bible for the lecturer was given as a memorial of Mrs. Ophelia Dent, longtime communicant of the parish, and the piano was bought for the Parish House and paid for from the Easter offering.
Dr. Rede resigned the rectorship 5 June 1906, the resignation to take effect 15 September 1906.
History of St. Mark's Parish from December 1906
The Reverend R.E. Boykin became Rector of this Parish on 18 December 1906, being the third Sunday in Advent. At this time, St. Mark's Church was in a very dilapidated condition, having been wrecked by the storm of 1898 and was supported on large timber props and leaking badly. It was soon seen that the Church must either be repaired or rebuilt and in 1908 there were certain repairs made, the Chancel was enlarged, windows repaired, electric lights put in and other minor improvements made. In 1909 it was determined to begin collecting funds to build a new Church. About three hundred and fifty dollars was collected at that time which was turned over by Mr. A.C. Banks, the Treasurer of the Parish, and was afterwards turned over to Mr. F.D. Aiken of the Building Fund. The first large amount was received by the Rector on 13 March 1910, on a visit to Jekyl Island, when he collected something like thirteen or fourteen hundred dollars. On that occasion Mr. F.G. Bourne, of New York, gave one thousand dollars. This so stimulated the Parish that they went to work with great zeal collecting funds and in 1911, on Ash Wednesday, the last service was said in the old church. Mr. Bourne [two years later] also gave another check for five hundred dollars. This was because of personal friendship for the Rector for he had no ties whatever with St. Mark's. In round figures, Mr. Boykin secured about thirty-five hundred dollars from Jekyl Island; and during his vacation while at Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, in 1915 and 1916 he secured about five hundred dollars. These amounts were all in checks and were turned over to the Treasurer, Mr. F.D. Aiken; with these exceptions, so far as the writer knows, all of the moneys were raised in the parish by the parishioners.
The corner stone of the Church was laid on Sunday, 5 November 1911, and the following clergy taking part: Rt. Rev. F.F. Reese, Bishop of Georgia; Rev. R.E. Boykin, Rector of St. Mark's; Rev. D. Watson Winn, Rector of Christ Church, Frederica; Rev. S.J. French, Vicar of St. Jude's, Brunswick; and the Very Reverend Arsenius Davis, Priest of the Holy Orthodox Church at Savannah and Archimandrite of Southern Georgia and Northern Florida.
The Building Committee appointed by the Rector was composed of Mr. F.D. Aiken, Mr. J.E. du Bignon, and Mr. A.V. Wood. Mr. Aiken was made Chairman and also Treasurer of this Committee. Mr. DuBignon served a short while and then resigned. A very large amount of labor and detail work fell upon Mr. Aiken in all of which he was most faithful and cheerful in rendering. Of course, everyone did their part, but because of his position naturally most of the work fell upon him, with the exception of the Rector. There were a great many unnecessary delays in the work, and many heart burnings, but finally the Church was completed and opened for the first service on 12 December 1915 being the Rector's 9th Anniversary. [See clippings pasted in Parish Register].
Mrs. C. Downing presented the Church with the lighting system and all fixtures. The Rector gave a pair of seven branch candelabra which were used at the opening service and as the funeral of one of our most faithful and loyal Churchmen and Vestrymen, Mr. E.F. Coney, took place that afternoon the Rector gave the above mentioned candelabras as a memorial to Mr. Coney. At Easter, 1916, Mrs. P.W. Fleming gave a cross in memory of her two children [departed] for the Lady chapel altar; and Mrs. Edgar Wilson gave a pair of eucharistic candles for the chapel altar as a thank offering. Mrs. Downing also gave the stone steps around the Church. Mr. F.D.M. Strachan gave to the Lady chapel sixty very handsome rush bottom chairs and kneelers, and Mr. S.K. Brown gave the ceiling in the chapel. These gifts were all secured at the personal solicitation of the rector. And while mentioning such things too high praise cannot be given the Altar Guild in its faithful work in beautifying the altar in hangings and such; but time will not allow me to mention each individual gift as they were in the form of subscriptions for the main purpose, that is the building of the Church and the Treasurer, Mr. F.D. Aiken, has the book with all such gifts and subscriptions. Nothing, however, could have been done without the faithfulness and liberality of Mr. C. Downing.
During the building of the Church from the spring of 1911 until December, 1915, we worshiped in the Parish building. No one who did not take part in the building of the Church can have any idea of the labor on the part of the Rector, Wardens, Vestrymen, and Congregation.
The Reverend R.E. Boykin resigned the Rectorship of St. Mark's Church 17 December 1917, to take effect 1 February 1918, having accepted a call to the Church at Canton, Mississippi.
In an answer to many prayers the cold stormy weather of the week gave place to bright sunshine, when on Sunday 5 November 1917 the cornerstone of the new St. Mark's Church, Brunswick, Rev. R. Elliot Boykin, Rector, was laid. The Bishop officiated assisted by the Rector, Archdeacon Winn, the Vicar of St. Jude's and the Rev. Arsenius Davis, pastor of the Holy Orthodox Church in Savannah, with whom most friendly personal and official relations obtain. The procession headed by the First Regiment Band led by crucifer and acolytes formed at ten o�clock on Egmont Street in front of the Rectory. Following the band were the choir [vested], the Church wardens and vestry, the procession of clergy headed by a crucifer and acolytes, the Sunday School children and congregation. Passing around to Gloucester and Norwich Streets the clergy and vestry went to the platform of the tower floor. The processional Hymn led by the band was �O Sign Haste.� After the actual laying of the stone, which contained the Bible and Prayer Book, General and Diocesan Canons, lists of the Parish officials, coins of the current year and old coins from the cornerstone of the demolished foundation of the old church, the Hymn �The Church's One Foundations� was sung. Addresses were made by the Bishop, the Rector, and [in Greek] by Father Davis. Then singing �Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken� the procession returned to the temporary Church [the Sunday School building] where the Holy Communion was celebrated by the Bishop, Father Davis reading the Epistle and Gospel in Greek after they had been read in English by the rector.
The new Church foundation of which is already laid in massive concrete blocks, will be of gray brick with stone trimmings, with a dignified bell tower and a very spacious chancel vestries and chapel, the latter opening by an arcade into the north side of the choir and Sanctuary, with ambulatory across the east end of the chancel communicating with the vestries on the south side. The interior will be of gray pressed brick laid up in colored mortar. Altogether it will be one of the most complete and dignified Churches in the South. The buildings are practically isolated, having a street frontage on three sides and a public square well shaded with live oaks in the rear. Entrance will be had through the tower on the north side and a porch on the south.
CORNERSTONE LAID AT BRUNSWICK, GEORGIA
Brunswick has in proportion to the population a larger number of communicants of the Church than any other city in Georgia. On the first Sunday in November the Bishop laid the cornerstone of the practically new St. Mark's Church in this city, the Rev. Richard Elliot Boykin, rector. In the �new� building, the framework and roof of the nave are retained from the old church; the tower, chancel, morning chapel and vestries being entirely new. The church has a peculiarly advantageous situation, having a street frontage on three sides; and when finished will be a great ornament to the city. On this occasion there was a large attendance both of Church people and representatives of other religious bodies. The clergy and choir vested in the rectory opposite the church; and the procession was formed as follows: crucifer and acolytes; First Regiment Military Band in uniform; choir vested; wardens and vestrymen, crucifer and acolytes; clergy and Bishop; Sunday School children and congregation. Proceeding to the foundation of the tower, the congregation assembled around while the clergy and vestry, preceded by the crucifer, ascended to the platform of the tower. The service was the usual one on such occasions, the Bishop officiating. The cornerstone contained the usual books and souvenirs, including a number of coins retrieved from the old cornerstone. The clergy in attendance, other than the Bishop and rector, were the Ven. David Watson Winn, Archdeacon of Brunswick, the Rev. Samuel J. French, Vicar of St. Jude's, and the Rev. Arsenius Davis, priest of the Hoy Orthodox Church of Savannah and Archimandrite of Southern Georgia and Northern Florida. Addresses were made by the Bishop, the rector and by Father Davis, the last in his own language to the Greeks present. The band leading the hymn �Glorious things of Thee are spoken,� was sung as the assembled throng returned to the Sunday School building which is used as a temporary church during the building of the new structure.
It is appropriate to dwell for a moment on the presence of the Greek Archimandrite. There are many Greeks in this city, who having no church of their own communion, have for many years and especially during the rectorate of Mr. Boykin, sought and received the ministrations of the American Church. They have been placed by their own clergy under the pastoral care of the rector, and are frequently seen in large numbers at the services of the Church. This has led to very close relations between the clergy and Bishop of our own Church with the Greek clergy, and it is no uncommon thing to see them at the greatest functions of either communion. It may be remembered that on the occasion of the last celebration of the anniversary of [torn out] independence, Bishop Reese �pontificated� at the service in the Greek Church in Savannah, and that at the last annual convention of the diocese of Georgia, Father Davis was present in the chancel at the opening service, and received the Blessed Sacrament at the hands of the Bishop. On this occasion Father Davis was present in his own vestments [as the accompanying photograph shows], and addressed his own people, urging them to more regular attendance at the services of the American Church. At the Holy Eucharist following he occupied a stall on the right hand of the rector, and after the Gospel advanced to the altar and read the Epistle and Gospel in Greek. Thus Georgia seems to be 'setting the pace� for intercommunion with the Orthodox Church, not by talking and discussing, but by �doing things� in a quiet matter of course way.
The new church will built entirely of concrete, the large foundation blocks being already in place. The superstructure will be of concrete gray bricks with 'stone� trimmings. It will be one of the most dignified and complete structures in the diocese.
The Brunswick News 11 December 1915
Holy Eucharist at 7:30.
This being the third Sunday in Advent which is the ninth anniversary of the present rector, and the beautiful new church being now completed [it] was thought meet and proper that [the] first service be held on this day.
When the present rector, Rev. R.E. Boykin, came to this parish in December, 1906, it was soon seen that the church must either be repaired or rebuilt, and in 1908 there were certain repairs made, the choir enlarged, windows repaired and electric lights put in, and some other minor improvements. And then it was determined in 1909 to begin collecting funds for the building of a new church. The first large amount was received by the rector on 13 March 1910. This so stimulated the people that more funds were secured by the hard work of the parishioners and work on the new church was started in the spring of 1911.
The new St. Mark's is pronounced by those who are specialist along ecclesiastical lines to be one of the most correct and best appointed churches in the south. It is early English gothic and the writer thinks it is one of the best he has ever seen for [a] city of this size. While at present only temporary furniture will be used, such as altar, choir, stalls, lecture pulpit, and the pews from the old church, it is hoped in due time these will all be replace by handsome memorials. And the new windows while plain are dignified in their simplicity. It was thought best to wait until real handsome ones could be given as memorials rather than place ordinary windows in at present.
There was only one memorial window in the church which was placed there by the congregation as a memorial to the late Phineas Nightengale. This was over the chancel. It has since been rebuilt and placed, ecclesiastically speaking in the west end.
Sunday will most surely be a day of rejoicing to St. Mark's congregation and we believe all of our friends in the city will rejoice with us in at last entering God's house of worship and so we cordially invite the public to be with us on this most joyful occasion.
The order of procession at the 11 o�clock service will be as follows: Crucifer attended by altar boys, vested choir of 25; crucifer, acolytes, visiting clergy, and the rector of the parish, followed by the children of the parish. The children will assemble at the foot of the choir steps singing some children's hymns, after which the procession will reform for the children to pass out; then the introit and the regular Eucharist service will begin.
26 December 1915 The
St. Mark's Church, Brunswick, Georgia, and St. John's, Savannah, have both undergone extensive changes during the last six months. Both of these were built in what for want of a better term we may call the �early Victorian style,� I.e., pointed windows and a very shallow chancel; so shallow that when vested or chancel choirs came in it was necessary to extend the chancel floor out into the nave several yards in order to place the choir in front of the congregation.
St. Mark's, Brunswick, has been practically rebuilt, however, from the foundation up. No one entering the church for the first time since the work was begun could recognize any part of the old building except the roof, and even that has been changed in color if not in structure. The frame of the old wooden nave has been retained, but veneered outside and in with gray brick, with �cut stone� trimmings around all openings. The northwest tower has been rebuilt from the ground of the same material, and is very massive--in fact is the impressive feature of the church. The chancel is also entirely a new construction. It is of ample proportions, with abundant room for the vested choir and, within the rail, for the 'sanctuary choir.� The altar is well raised and of dignified proportions, being nine feet long with triple gradine and tabernacle. Extending entirely around the chancel is an ambulatory sufficiently wide for two to walk abreast, opening off from which are, on the north side, a morning chapel and on the south side the vestries for priest and choir, with the organ chamber and guild-room over.
The alterations of the church were begun some five years ago and would have been finished long ere this but for the financial depression which has fallen upon this part of the country since the European war began.
The church was reopened on the Third Sunday in Advent, which was the ninth anniversary of the present rectorship and also the rector's birthday. The church was filled with the parishioners of St. Mark's and representatives of the two other churches in the city. The first act after the processional was the �reception� of an infant who had some months before been privately baptized in extremis. The children of the Sunday school sang the first hymn or introit and the choral Eucharist followed, the rector, the Rev. R.E. Boykin, being celebrant, the vicar of St. Jude's assisting.
The joy of the occasion was clouded by the sudden death on Saturday of one of the [rest of the article is missing]
At the opening of St. Mark's Church, Brunswick, Georgia, as reported in another column, a pair of candelabra were presented by the rector, who had designed them as a Christmas gift to the altar, but made them a memorial of a much loved vestryman, Mr. E.F. Coney, who had only the day previous been called away to enter into rest, and who was buried from the church the very day of its opening. The candelabra were placed on the altar and dedicated at the introit, and immediately lighted by the servers.
Back to St. Mark's Index
Copyright ©GlynnGen.com 2003-2019 All Rights Reserved
Material on this site is one of kind, having been published here for the first time ever. This data was compiled by Amy Hedrick
for the GlynnGen website to be used for your personal use and it is not to be reproduced in any manner on other websites or electronic media,
nor is it to be printed in any resource books or materials. Thank you!
Want to make a contribution?
Donate via PayPal: